Thursday, September 11, 2008

Journal 9/11/08

I was in 3rd grade on September 11, 2001 and I remember my principal coming over the intercom and asking the teachers to turn their t.v.'s to a certain channel. They sat and watched completely shocked to what they saw. Teachers began going to each others room asking questions. My teacher didn't leave. She just sat there looking at the screen with tears in her eyes. None of us knew what to say or what to do. We just sat and watched as the principal came in and gave her a hug, and she started to cry harder. She left the room and the principal stayed and talked to us. We couldn't figure out why she was so upset. Then, he told us that it was because she had family that lived in New York very close to where the Twin Towers were. She didn't know if they were dead or alive, but she knew it wasn't good. She didn't come back that day and we all got to leave early. When our parents were called they were all waiting outside for us. Everyone was in shock, but none of the kids knew why. And no one would tell us. When I got home, I was told what happened. But i was just in third grade, I didn't really understand what the big deal was. When my dad got home, I had more bad news. We were going to move the next week because of my dads job. I was so upset. I didn't want to leave my friends or family there. I was so happy where i was. When i went to school the next day, it was different. Teachers were crying, kids were sad, and I didn't know what to do. I wanted to stay there. Not leave. When I told my teacher, she just gave me a hug. And we sat there hugging each other and crying. I remember feeling a lot of things. And sad was the main one. I felt so bad for my teacher after a couple days as we found out that the family she had in New York didn't make it. She wasn't there when I moved to say bye. She was in New York. Just like a lot of families; at funerals. That was 7 years ago. And i remember it like it was yesterday. I think that we should remember everyone that died that day. And thank our soldiers fighting in the war. You know, it's true that you never know what you have until it's gone. So, make sure you let everyone you know and love that you're thinking of them and love them because tomorrow is never promised. You don't know what could happen to you or someone you love.

No comments: